Achieving Café-Quality Consistency: Barista Tips for Your Coffee Shop
20 November 2023
Consistency is the heart and soul of a thriving coffee shop. To ensure each cup is a masterpiece, here are some barista tips to maintain the highest quality and flavour consistency in your café.
1. Keep your dosing precise
Weigh your dose consistently. If your extraction time deviates by more than 5 seconds from the target, your grinder may need adjustment. On our Mazor Major V Electronic grinder or our Mazzer Robur S electronic grinder, a small tweak of one ‘notch’ on the grinder collar can make a significant difference. Expect it to take 3-4 shots to observe the impact of the adjustment.
Be proactive in adjusting your grind settings and make ongoing adjustments. If you taste a shift in flavour, don’t hesitate to fine-tune your grinder to align with the desired profile. It’s a dynamic process, and your taste buds are your best guide.
2. Hygiene is key
Cleanliness is not just about aesthetics; it profoundly influences flavour. Incorporate these practices into your routine:
- Perform water backflushes of each group head with a blind portafilter basket.
- Rinse coffee baskets under the espresso machine’s hot water tap to remove coffee oils.
- Regularly rinse milk jugs.
- Clean your workstation as you go, paying attention to grounds around the grinder.
- Keep tamper and tamper mat dry to prevent water from damaging the coffee bed.
3. Do regular taste checks
Tasting the espresso regularly, ideally every hour, is more than a ritual; it’s a crucial quality control step. This helps you:
- Understand the flavour profile of the coffee you’re serving.
- Make grinder adjustments based on taste.
- Consider variations in extraction time for a nuanced flavour.
Tasting espresso directly provides insights into its standalone characteristics. While with milk, expect changes such as enhanced sweetness, reduced acidity, and an altered bitterness perception.
In the fast-paced world of a coffee shop, consistency is the hallmark of excellence. Implementing these barista tips ensures that each cup leaving your counter reflects the passion and precision you put into your craft.
For more barista tips, check out our blog here.