Introducing Our New Espresso Recipe: A Bold Step Forward
30 September 2023
At Fish River Roasters, evolution is at the heart of everything we do. As a company deeply committed to the world of specialty coffee, we believe in constantly improving and refining our craft. That’s why we’re excited to share some significant changes to our standard espresso recipe.
Why the Change?
Our decision to revise our espresso recipe is guided by several key principles that align with the evolving specialty coffee industry:
- Specialty Coffee Alignment: We are dedicated to staying at the forefront of the specialty coffee industry. To do this, we must continuously adapt and refine our methods to meet industry standards.
- Enhanced Strength and Flavour: Our new recipe promises to deliver a bolder, more robust flavour profile. We want each cup to be a memorable experience for our customers.
- Consistency in Every Cup: We’re passionate about ensuring that every sip of our coffee is of the highest quality. By making these changes, we can offer greater consistency in every cup.
- Reducing Waste: Sustainability is a core value for us. We believe in reducing waste wherever possible. Our new recipe and equipment adjustments will help cafes minimise waste generated by their grinders. A deeper basket will help catch all the coffee.
The Science Behind the Change
Our journey towards this new espresso recipe is grounded in a scientific and objective assessment of our coffee. To achieve this, we employ a VST Refractometer, a precise instrument that measures Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in our coffee.
Here’s how it works: We input our dose weight and extracted weight into our software (images below) and analyse filtered coffee droplets using the VST Refractometer. This tool provides us with valuable data, including TDS and Extraction Yield (EY).
What to Expect
Over the next six months, we’ll be implementing the following changes:
- Deeper Group Basket: We’re transitioning to a deeper group basket.
- Recipe Adjustment: Our recipe will change from 20.5 grams of ground coffee in + 30 seconds extraction = 48 grams out to 24 grams in + 30 seconds extraction = 48 grams out.
Cost and Timeline
The good news is that this transition won’t cost you a thing. We’re covering the expenses for filter baskets and reprogramming. The changes will be phased in over the next six months, ensuring a seamless transition for all.
What to Keep in Mind
While these changes promise a bolder cup of coffee, it’s important to note that the new recipe will use approximately 3.5 grams more per double shot, resulting in a slight increase in cost – about 10 cents per cup.
Why Make the Switch?
Already, several cafes have adopted this stronger recipe, and they are very busy – doing several hundred cups per day. We’ve observed a correlation between the stronger recipe and the success of cafes, making it one of the key reasons we’re recommending it. We are also suggesting it so that the recipe matches, and the strength matches when you use a single basket and a double basket.
The Choice is Yours
Ultimately, whether you choose to adopt these changes is entirely up to you. We believe in providing our partners and customers with the best possible coffee experience, and these adjustments reflect our ongoing commitment to excellence.
If you have any questions or need further information about the basket and recipe changes, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Chris, our General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re here to help and discuss any inquiries you may have.
Visit our blog for more helpful articles.